Friday, July 3, 2015

Clarification on Evolve Campaigns Misquote

Just a quick note of clarification:

Evolve Campaigns has created and shared the following internet meme without my permission. In doing so, it has unfortunately misquoted me. The quote it has attributed to me actually derives from a 2013 guest contribution by Colin Donoghue. I have recently moved away from using "enslavement" language and I also find sweeping statements about nonvegans as "uncaring" to be extremely problematic given the ubiquitousness of structural barriers that severely restrict choice and access for many. I firmly believe that shaming/blaming language which obscures social inequality does our movement a disservice. Our vegan outreach should be sensitive to the intersectionality of oppressions to remain effective and ethical.